D.I.Y Easter Decor Ideas

It's hard to believe that we are already halfway through March. Where did the time go? Easter is just around the corner and now that March Break is over and we are back to our regularly scheduled lives I busted out the Easter Decor and this place is now ready for the Easter Bunny and the celebrations to begin.

Like every other holiday or season to decorate I turned to my good old pal Pinterest for some inspiration and got to work. I admittedly don't have a ton of Easter Decor. I always got so wrapped up in the other holidays I slacked on this one. I also didn't want to spend a fortune on decor items and I lack the space to store it all. I love a good D.I.Y project and got to work on my list for Easter Decor that was super budget friendly and stores easily in the very small storage bin that I have allotted.

Every year I try to be as prepared as possible for Easter. I never want to be one of those last minute parents, the thought actually gives me anxiety. Last year we actually skipped the traditional sit down large meal, I had very little up in the way of decor and we celebrated with friends and family. For me at any holiday there doesn't have to be a big fancy meal or a house decked out to the nines. I have always hated having to dress up, sit in uncomfortable clothes, eat a large meal that takes hours to prep, just to celebrate a holiday. I like it best when it's casual and spent with the ones you love.

I'm leaning towards that this year too. (Shhh don't tell anyone lol)

So during March Break when I was able, I crafted my little heart out (It was much easier than when I'm at home since my mom could keep an eye on the boy's while I crafted away, and I had access to all her tools of the trade {we call her the Queen of Crafting}) Below you will find list to the most recent Easter Decor I made as well as the link to my favourite pins that inspired them.

In case you missed the link above, Be sure to follow us on Pinterest Here



Paper Straw Egg Picture: Now when I saw this one on Pinterest I knew I had to try it. I had tons of those paper straws left from parties and other crafts and it looked simple enough. The original post was all these Easter Decor ideas you could make from stuff at the dollar store. Right up my alley.

You will need:

  • Flat Canvas or Stretched Canvas (I used the stretched canvas as I wasn't going to frame mine and I needed to be able to staple the fabric, also the size depends on the size of the egg you plan on making I went with the Medium Size)
  • Spring Fabric (Optional you can also use the white canvas)
  • Staple Gun
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
  • Assorted Paper Straws
  • Scissors
  • Egg Shape Cut Out (I used foam cut outs I found at the dollar store)
Directions: I started by laying my straws out in the pattern I wanted for my egg. Next I glued them to Egg and once I was done I cut the straws to the shape of the egg.


I stretched fabric over my canvas and stapled it to secure it. You could easily put the egg on the white canvas. It looks cute that way too, but I found the roll of Spring Fabric at the dollar store.







This craft cost me a total of $5 and I still have loads of fabric left (even after making one for my mother, I now have left over paper straws too) You can either frame the egg or place it leaning against something. My mother positioned hers along her stair case. I opted to put my Egg Picture on the shelf








Moss Bunny Picture: This one I made two different ways.

You will need:
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue
  • Clear Liquid Craft Glue
  • Decorative Green Moss
  • Cotton Ball, pom pom or Yarn (for tail)
  • Burlap Fabric (Printed or non printed)
  • Stretched Canvas or Flat Canvas
  • Staple Gun and Staples
  • Bunny Cut Out (I used ones I found pre-made in the dollar bins at Target but Dollar stores have them too)
  • Picture or plate stand
  • Scissors





Directions: Start first by gluing the burlap fabric onto your bunny cut out (If making the reverse attach your burlap fabric to your canvas using the staple gun). 





















Next using the clear craft glue cover your canvas or bunny in glue and press the moss onto it. ***Pro tip use a garbage bag or cheap plastic table cloth on your work space the moss will go everywhere*** I was fortunate enough to be working on my mother Crafting Desk.


























Trim the edges of your bunny shapes and attach to canvas.
Attach Tail ( I used eyelash yarn and made a pom pom but you can use a cotton ball or felt pom pom). I used the plate stand for the one that is covered in moss and hung the reverse one on my wall. This again cost me $6 in supplies. I also have loads left over to use for other projects. 

































Burlap Easter Banner: This one was super simple. You can often find the Burlap banner kits at the dollar store or you can easily make your own using the burlap sheets.


I used the flag shape instead of triangles for this banner from a Banner Kit. I've also made my own using burlap sheets (See my Valentine's Burlap Be Mine Banner)

You will need:
  • Modge Podge (Or Craft glue that dries clear)
  • Burlap Banner Kit or Burlap Sheets
  • Glitter
  • Scissors
  • pen for marking out banner
  • Hot Glue Gun and Glue 
  • Small Paint Brush
  • Felt or Paper Bunny Cut Outs 
  • Twine 
  • Small Clothes Pins
  • Felt or Paper Egg Cut Outs
Directions: Cut out the desired shape of banner and decide what you want it say. I went with Easter as Happy Easter didn't fit in the wall I wanted to use.
I drew the letters on the Eggs and then carefully traced over with my brush and Modge Podge and sprinkled the glitter on and quickly shook off the excess and lay flat to dry. 

 ***Pro tip: use a cardboard box for glitter to minimize the mess*** 

















Once they were Dry I glued them to the Burlap banner pieces and hung them from twine using the clothes pins. I hung 2 bunny cut outs on the ends and this Easy Easter Banner that stores easily and doesn't take up space is complete.


I like to keep things simple when it comes to decor. I used mason jars and filled them some glittered eggs I found at the dollar store and had laying around from last year. You could easily swap out the glittered eggs for the candy mini eggs as pictured here (Hubby already got into the candy stash before I got my picture). My big Splurge this year was the fake chocolate bunnies I found. They were sold 3 in a pack for $4.50 I bought 2 sets.  My hubby actually thought that they were chocolate. I thought that they made cute decorations, the bonus they can also be used for egg hunts.


I also stuck some of those fake eggs that look like the real deal in a glass bowl on top of the felt place mat I found at the dollar store. Simple decorations that can be easily moved are important to me. Especially since I use my Kitchen table for everything. 


Paper Decor items are great too. They are generally rather inexpensive and if they get wrecked most times they can be recycled. They also store easily in a file folder or bin. I was fortunate enough to have access to a Cricut machine and made some beautiful Easter Cut outs using the glittered paper. (Sadly I forgot them at my mothers so I won't get to use them until next Easter)

Pinterest has tons of ideas, see our Easter Decor Board for inspiration. There are so many great ideas, I'm already planning for next year. 

Do you decorate for Easter? What are some of your favourite Decor Items?

Hoppy Crafting (See what I did there) 

~ Mommy Dearest 



















Comments

  1. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this
    web site. I am hoping the same high-grade
    blog post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative
    writing abilities has inspired me to get my own site now.
    Actually the blogging is spreading its wings fast.
    Your write up is a great example of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment and Let us know what you think.